Well this week was of course the Apple event… 3 new iPhones and a new Apple Watch. I think many of us were a touch disappointed that was “all” there was. Does this mean another event later for some iPads and/or Macs? Who knows? I am joined once again by Donny and we talk about what we made of it… and a few other stories. Meanwhile Hurricane Florence flooded parts of the US, a Category 5 Typhoon hammered the Philippines and is bearing down on Hong Kong and China…
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter! We can now also be found on Spotify, Soundcloud and even YouTube.
Recorded 16th September 2018
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 free “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity.
- ProtonMail – End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – Free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
- Everyone should have a font manager… I really do believe that. So I highly recommend FontBase — All platforms. Professional features. Beautiful UI. Totally free. FontBase is the font manager of the new generation, built by designers, for designers.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
On this week’s show:
- @rtteachr on Twitter, has books on iBooks, lots of sticker packs in the App Store including the NEW Puzzle Mask, also is Skrbly on DesignBundles.net (http://designbundles.net/)
- The big “Gather Round” event and our reactions…
- Apple pledges $1M to Red Cross as Hurricane Florence makes landfall – Apple Insider
- Apple Is Deleting Bought Films From iTunes Accounts – And Don’t Expect A Refund – Forbes Magazine
- Apple loses marketshare but still makes the most money – Cult of Mac
- Apple Releases Golden Master Version of iOS 12 Shortcuts App – MacRumors
- Apple Has Started Paying Hackers for iPhone Exploits – Motherboard
- Firmware weakness in modern laptops exposes encryption keys – Global Banking & Finance Review
- Andy Yen: Think your email’s private? Think again– TED
- Defending Privacy: An Interview with Andy Yen of ProtonMail – Medium
- US carriers create single sign-on service that could end passwords – Engadget
- Microsoft Windows U-turn removes warning about installing Chrome, Firefox – CNet
WORTH-A-CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Moment releases first Mfi battery case for the iPhone X, just as it’s being discontinued – The Verge
- Message from Joe Kissell for all Essential Apple listeners – “I’ve created a coupon code (ESSENTIALAPPLE) that’s good for 30% off any purchase from us, and valid through November 30. Listeners can enter that code manually at checkout, or they can use this link, which has the coupon code built in: 30% Off
Nemo’s Hardware Store (23:00)
- Miggo Pictar One – A powerful smartphone camera-grip – $100 US / $110 US Direct. Same prices on Amazon and from £80 UK on Amazon UK
- Pictar One product overview video
- Miggo Splat 3N1 Flexible Tripod – $25 US direct and $20 US or £19 UK on Amazon
- Blackloud Soundot AF1 FM Headset (for iOS devices) – $80 US Direct.
- NB: The Soundot is not JUST for FM. They are regular good quality listening earbuds for all purposes including voice and FaceTime
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.