This week we are having a party… On this weeks Essential Apple Podcast Karl Madden, Guy Serle, Donny Yankellow, Bart Busschots and Mark Chappell joins us for a “festive” edition of the show. With six of us on the line I am afraid that some of the audio struggled a little but it held up and we had a pretty fun time. Thanks to all the listeners and guests over the last year. All the Essential Apple crew wish everybody a Merry Christmas (or your midwinter festival of choice) and all the best for 2019.
- Listeners of this show can claim $10 off purchases of Luminar and/or Aurora HD 2019 just use the coupon code EssentialApple at the checkout.
- Also we have a two Licenses for BeLight Live Home 3D to give away… 1x iOS and 1x Mac. DEADLINE EXTENDED TO MID JANUARY Email the show on firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning Live Home 3D and the phrase I give out in the BeLight interview.
Recorded 23rd December 2018
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
On this week’s show:
- Host of the Mac & Forth Show
- On Twitter as @Macparrot and @VertShark
- Co-host of the MyMac show
- Mac to the Future and Guy’s Daily Drive on YouTube
- All his stuff is now at vertshark.com
- @rtteachr on Twitter
- Find his work at hedgehogalley.com
- Find his stuff in iBooks, a load of sticker packs in the App Store and DesignBundles.net as Skrbly
- His latest book is Artosaurus
- Richard Easton gave us some feedback on the GPS show and says that there are some disputes over some assertions in the “Lonely Halls” documentary and refers us to this article
- Luminar: Rob Rait, Howard Greenberg, Scott Willsey, Darren Hendley, Alan.
- Aurora: Andy Joyce, Steve Hammond, Paul Cruxton, Ray Parker, Ivor Pope.
- Bring a bottle – feel free to be having a drink
- Highlight of the year / low point of the year (in tech story terms)
- Best tech / gadget of the year.
- Something old / something new (something we found, got, whatever) that we like this year and something old we are still finding to be great.
- Apple exec puts a number on what’s acceptable for bendy iPads – Mashable UK
- Now is the time for Apple to really market privacy to mass-market consumers – 9to5 Mac
VARIOUS STUFF MENTIONED
- The Grid Organisers
- Cardhop for Mac
- ATM510 Cardioid Dynamic Handheld Microphone
- Simply Sound Mic Pre Amp
- Old Call of Duty Games
- smART Sketcher Projector Kit
- Nikon Coolpix W100 Camera
- My 2nd Brain® Briefcase 13
- Affinity Publisher Beta
- Beer52 Club
- RCool Earbuds or the newer ones with charging case
Nemo’s Hardware Store (48:56)
- Grovemade Qi Charger – $79 US
- Silksmartish Cable Wrangler – $20 US
- Thinium Recharge Plus 2.0 – $70 US
- Tribit XFree Tune Headphones – $50 US
- Woolnut Covers $78 US to $99 US
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter…
- ProtonMail – End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – Free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
- Everyone should have a font manager… I really do believe that. So I highly recommend FontBase — All platforms. Professional features. Beautiful UI. Totally free. FontBase is the font manager of the new generation, built by designers, for designers.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.