This week it was 35 years since Steve pulled the Macintosh out of the bag to say hello, also it is 30 years since the launch of the SE/30. The latest iOS Beta holds clues about new iPads and even a possible new iPod Touch! Apple reassigned 200+ staff from the Titan project elsewhere (notice I said “reassigned” not laid off…). Apple got some flack about a photo competition and promptly did the right thing about it, while Zuckerberg continues to be a lying two-faced hypocrite (in Simon’s opinion). To discuss all of that, and whatever else comes to mind during the conversation, I am joined by Nick Riley (@spligosh) and Melissa Davis (@TheMacMommy / TheMacMommy.com)
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Ghostery has gifted us 10x Ghostery “swag bags” to give away! First 10 out of the hat! Email me on email@example.com with your postal address and preferred T Shirt size to be in with a chance…
- One lucky listener can win a free entry to Dr Mac’s Working Smarter for Mac Users Video course (worth $500), and also we have one copy of the Working Smarter book to give away. As usual email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Dr Mac and you will be entered into the draw.
- Listeners of this show can claim $10 off purchases of Luminar and/or Aurora HD 2019 use the coupon code EssentialApple at checkout for your extra discount!
Recorded 27th January 2019
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
On this week’s show:
MELISSA DAVIS – TheMacMommy
- 35 years ago, Macintosh said hello – @tim_cook
- and last week the SE/30 turned 30 – Threadreader
- If you never experienced that era you can sample it with either
- iOS 12.2 beta includes references to new iPod touch, and four new iPad models – The Apple Post
- iOS 12.2 beta 1 brings Apple News to Canada – Cult of Mac
- Google nabs senior macOS engineer Bill Stevenson for Fuchsia OS – Cult of Mac
- Apple Says It Will Pay ‘Shot on iPhone’ Photo Contest Winners After Backlash – Gizmodo
- Apple Lays Off 200+ People From Project Titan, Its Self-Driving Car Effort – ExtremeTech
- Zuckerberg’s “facts about Facebook” – the peak of hypocrisy – Cliqz
- Zuckerberg wants to merge Messenger, Instagram, and WhatsApp messaging – Daily Dot
- 2FA – What are the best apps? – 9to5 Mac
- I just ordered myself this to try out – Feitian ePass FIDO-NFC Security Key It’s a U2F FIDO key with NFC support. Let’s see what I think of it…
- How to Secure Your Accounts With a U2F Key or YubiKey – How to Geek
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- A shortcut that takes you to iTunes & App Store Subscriptions in one tap – https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/013a7fc44fc640eea1e2aa3fddba7473
- This website that is a great GIF editor – EzGIF.com
- GoodNotes 5 Upgrade Bundle by Time Base Technology Limited – iOS App Store
- Hackintosher – Build Your Own – Hackintosher
- The Twitter thread with a host of “did you know” tips in it… Twitter and related to it this article
Nemo’s Hardware Store ()
- No hardware store this week as John is still awaiting post CES items for review.
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter…
- ProtonMail – End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – Free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.