This week I am joined by Suffolk Pete (@Hermboy) in what is an odd sort of Limbo – we are recording this the day before WWDC, but it’s unlikely the show will be posted until after. So although we talk a little about WWDC we try not to make it the main point of discussion so we don’t just make ourselves look silly.
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Listeners of this show can claim $10 off purchases of Luminar and/or Aurora HD 2019 use the coupon code EssentialApple at checkout for your extra discount!
- Get Donny Yankellow’s 2FunDads iMessage stickers for FREE
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
We can now also be found on RadioPublic, PlayerFM and TuneIn as well as all the other places previously available.
Recorded 2nd June 2019
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
On this week’s show:
- @Hermboy on Twitter very occasionally.
- WWDC – Mac Pro? iOS 13, macOS 10.15, iTunes breakup, Marzipan…
- The new Mac Pro is Apple’s chance to make a PC – The Verge
- Apple Marzipan will bring iPhone apps to your Mac: Everything you should know – CNet
- An original Apple I built into a briefcase just sold for nearly $500k – Tech Crunch
- Apple releases new iPod touch featuring A10 Fusion chip, 256 GB storage option – 9to5 Mac
- Apple Expected to Remove 3D Touch From All 2019 iPhones in Favor of Haptic Touch – Mac Rumors
- Apple Wipes iTunes Pages on Facebook and Instagram Ahead of WWDC – Mac Rumors
- Apple increases iPhone cellular download limit from 150 MB to 200 MB – 9to5 Mac
- Huawei CEO says China shouldn’t punish Apple – CNN
- Facebook’s engagement is sinking with no end in sight – Mashable
- Laptops are getting weird and wonderful again – The Verge
- Computex 2019: Every announcement you need to know – CNet
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- Older versions of Windows have critical vulnerability, should be updated ASAP– Digital Trends
- 1Password on Mac Updated With Easier and Smarter Drag-and-Drop Password Functionality – Mac Rumors
- Flipboard database hacks exposed users’ account information – CNet
- Slack, WhatsApp, Snapchat And Ghost Protocol All Security Risks, Says Wickr CTO – Forbes
- Tech companies and security experts pan U.K.’s encryption backdoor proposal – Digital Trends
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Alfred 4 brings Dark Mode, Rich Text expansion, and more to the powerful macOS productivity app – 9to5 Mac
- Elecjet launches AnyWatt USB-C MagSafe adapter for old MacBook/Apple display chargers – 9to5 Mac
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- Finally, IISc team confirms breakthrough in superconductivity at room temperature – The Hindu
Nemo’s Hardware Store
- No store this week as John is travelling
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter…
- ProtonMail – End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – Free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.