After last week’s debacle where I managed to not record the show (heedjit!!!) I made doubly sure this week! I am joined by “roving reporter” Mark Chappell to take a look at a few stories from the last couple of weeks and we have a Public Service Announcement courtesy of Donny!
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Listeners of this show can claim $10 off purchases of Luminar and/or Aurora HD 2019 use the coupon code EssentialApple at checkout for your extra discount!
- Get Donny Yankellow’s 2FunDads iMessage stickers for FREE
- Donny’s drawing app offer Buy the app now at the 2 category price and 1/3 off! When the third category is added the price will go up! App Store
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Slacker @MacJim has started up a family friendly Flikr group for listeners to share photos because the Darkroom channel in the Slack has become so popular – if you’re interested head over to to the Essential Apple Flikr and request an invitation.
Recorded 23rd June 2019
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
On this week’s show:
- Apple’s growing work of manually reviewing all apps detailed, board led by Phil Schiller – 9to5 Mac
- Apple recalls MacBook Pro, cites ‘fire safety risk’ – Mashable
- Foxconn suggests it could manufacture all US iPhones outside of China – BGR
- Apple releases firmware security update for discontinued AirPort Express, Extreme, and Time Capsule Base Stations – 9to5 Mac
- Serif just launched its InDesign killer Affinity Publisher – Digital Arts
- CERN turns to open source software as Microsoft increases its fees – Engadget
- Another bendy phone “folds” (sorry couldn’t resist) as Huawei ‘delay’ their Mate X– Reuters
- Google has made its last tablet – Engadget
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- A Firefox update fixes yet another zero-day vulnerability – Engadget
- Dell software designed to protect you from vulnerabilities has another vulnerability – The Verge
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Lumafusion updates to v2 and is free to current users App Store
- 10 great features in LumaFusion 2 YouTube video by Robb Montgomery
- Skylum updates Luminar to 3.1.1 – Skylum Blog
- Serif released Affinity Publisher… with StudioLink technology. See the 30 minute keynote
- Vivaldi updates to 2.6 with ad blocking – Vivaldi
Nemo’s Hardware Store (37:52)
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter…
- ProtonMail – End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – Free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.