Yes – I know it is really really late… Work and life and stuff. Sorry. This week I feared I’d have to do another solo show as no one seemed to be available – but you were all saved by the bravery of MacJim from the Slack, who volunteered to come on his first ever podcast and spare you all from that. We talk about the up coming Apple event, Smart Battery Cases, Apple’s new campus, the Razr, Elon’s CyberTruck and lots more.
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Listeners of this show can claim $10 off purchases of Luminar and/or Aurora HD 2019 use the coupon code EssentialApple at checkout for your extra discount!
- Get Donny Yankellow’s 2FunDads iMessage stickers for FREE
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Slacker @MacJim has a family friendly Flickr group for listeners to share photos because the Darkroom channel in the Slack has become so popular – if you’re interested head over to to the Essential Apple Flickr and request an invitation.
Recorded 24th November 2019
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
On this week’s show:
- @MacJim in the Slack room.
- Owner of the Essential Apple Flickr group.
- Apple Announces December 2 NYC Media Event – ‘Honoring Favorite Apps and Games of 2019’ – Mactrast
- To cut down on bugs, Apple is changing how it develops its software – Ars Technica
- Apple CEO Tim Cook: ‘I Will Fight Until My Toes Point Up’ for DACA – Mac Rumors
- Interview on ABC News
- Apple Launches New Smart Battery Cases for the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max – Mac Rumors
- Apple Breaks Ground on New $1 Billion Campus in Austin, Texas, Expected to Open in 2022 – Mac Rumors
- IBM Finds Its Mac Users to Be More Productive Than PC Users – TidBITS
- Elon Musk boasts of nearly 150,000 Tesla Cybertruck orders despite launch gaffe – Sky News
- Microsoft allowed to sell software to Huawei once again — The Verge
- Motorola Razr: Hands-on with the folding phone — BBC News
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- 1.2 Billion User Record Leak Proves Just How Important Apple’s Privacy Policies Are – iDrop News
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Don’t forget on many sites you can avoid the annoying “cookies/privacy” splash and not agree to anything with the Reader View
- **Claim 30% Off Everything In The Affinity Black Friday Event **There’s 30% off everything in the Affinity store for Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Running from 25 November to 3 December, includes Affinity Photo – the multi-award-winning photo editing program that’s taken the industry by storm with its speed and power. Affinity Photo is also the only photo editor which offers the complete desktop experience on iPadOS, ensuring you won’t be disappointed by the absence of important tools you need every day.
- Skylum Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deal – Dates: Nov 27 – Dec 28
- Offers: Bundle #1 – $79 – Luminar 4 + 2 bonuses of your choice Bundle #2 – $99 – Luminar 4 + 5 bonuses of your choice Bundle #3 – $129 – Luminar 4 + All bonuses
NEMO’S HARDWARE STORE (28:29)
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter…
- ProtonMail – End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – Free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.