This week the gang (including Donny) get together to talk about the only news in town! The one more thing event, M1 Macs and Big Sur. Also because Big Sur went live and Paul Kafasis of Rogue Amoeba is as good as his word his team got all their apps working on Big Sur! So this podcast comes courtesy of Rogue Amoeba on Big Sur!
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Glenn Fleishman’s Working From Home book is completely FREE and can be downloaded here and now he has also released Take Control of Zoom Essentials free as well.
- Steve at Geeks Corner has restarted his podcast which is a 5-15 min show of his thoughts on tech. Also keep an eye on his site or follow him on Twitter @GeekCorner_uk to watch for regular giveaways.
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Slacker @MacJim has a family friendly Flickr group for listeners to share photos because the Darkroom channel in the Slack has become so popular – if you’re interested head over to to the Essential Apple Flickr and request an invitation.
Recorded 15th November 2020
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
On this week’s show:
- @spligosh on Twitter very occasionally.
- Sometimes appears on Bart Busschots’ Let’s Talk Apple
- Sutton Park Circuit church worship on YouTube
- MacJim in the Slack
- In charge of the Essential Apple Flickr
- Also on Flickr as thesrpspaintshop
- Has videos on Vimeo
- @rtteachr on Twitter
- Find his work at hedgehogalley.com
- Books in Apple Book Store
- DesignBundles.net as Skrbly
- Skrbly Studio on YouTube
- Skrbly Store
- Leo the Lonely Guitar
- Donny’s Classes on Outschool.com for kids 7-18
- Apple “One more thing” event
- The M1
- The Macs
- Simon’s MacBook Air order
- Big Sur goes public
- Apple VPs talk M1 Macs, Rosetta 2 translation, and more in new interviews – 9to5 Mac
- Apple server problems
- MFi hearing aid static issues reported by iPhone 12 users – AppleInsider
- macOS Big Sur Update Bricking Some Older MacBook Pro Models – Mac Rumors https://www.macrumors.com/2020/11/15/macos-big-sur-update-bricking-some-macbook-pros/
- Amazon’s Ring video doorbells catch fire because wrong screw used – BBC
- Web inventor Tim Berners-Lee announces first step in privacy-for-all project, Solid – 9to5 Mac
- Popular app T&Cs ‘longer than Harry Potter’ – BBC
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- New ‘Platypus’ attack can extract data from Intel chips, but Macs are mostly safe – AppleInsider
- Microsoft tells users to ditch SMS multi-factor authentication – Verdict
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- macOS Big Sur and Carbon Copy Cloner – Bootable clones are back – Bombich Blog
- Pixelmator Pro 2.0 – All new, M1, Big Sur and free to existing users! – Pixelmator
- Pixelmator Pro 2.0 brings macOS Big Sur support and huge Apple silicon boost. – iMore
- Bartender 4 for Big Sur – Bartender
- Satechi Mac Mini Hub – CNN
- Nick returned this as the USB ports aren’t powered so you can’t charge from them…
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Pixel Privacy – a fabulous resource full of excellent articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee Blog for Andy J’s security tips.
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- Simple Login – Email anonymisation and disposable emails for login/registering with
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- AnonAddy – Disposable email addresses
- Sudo – get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter… You get to keep 2 free avatars though.
- ProtonMail – end to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test – simple to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator – so much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Soundcloud / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.