Yes, last week was a desert for news after the glut of the week of EAP 254 – also Simon felt a bit under the weather so we decided to take a raincheck… But as ever you can’t keep a “good” podcast down so just like the excellent Mac&Forth, Simon, Nick and Jim are also back to fill your ears with inane chatter and “informed” opinions on what went on in the world of Apple and Tech
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Get 2 months on the Kino Premium Plan with offer code KINOWITHJOHNNEMO
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Recorded 15th May 2022
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
Apple Podcasts | Overcast | Essential Apple | Pocket Casts | My Mac | Pinecast | Soundcloud | RadioPublic | Listen Notes | Podchaser | PlayerFM | TuneIn | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | Direct Download | RSS
On this week’s show
- @spligosh on Twitter very occasionally.
- Sometimes appears on Bart Busschots’ Let’s Talk Apple
- Sutton Park Circuit church worship on YouTube
- Nick’s church stream videos on You Tube
- The music lives on – Apple
- Apple Discontinues iPod Touch – MacRumors
- iPod Touch Completely Sold Out in Apple’s US Store – MacRumors
- You can no longer buy the iPod touch from Apple in the US – Cult of Mac
- RIP iPod: A Look Back at Apple’s Iconic Music Player Over the Years – MacRumors
- A Visual History of the Apple iPod – PCMag UK
- I Invited Tim Cook to Speak At My Graduation. He Gave Me This Advice – Elite Daily
- Tim Cook delivers commencement address at Gallaudet University, highlights accessibility– 9to5Mac
- Kuo: New Apple TV to Launch in Second Half of 2022, Lower Price Possible – MacRumors
- Apple @ Work: Apple is building a feature to install non-App Store apps – 9to5Mac
- iPhone supplier Pegatron issues production warning over COVID lockdowns – AppleInsider
- Apple Accidentally Leaks Surprise Upgrades In New iPhone Release – Forbes
- Abandoned apps policy could see one-third of apps removed from App Store and Google Play – 9to5Mac
- Non-pro look at the entry-level 14-inch MacBook Pro – 9to5Mac
- Im a die-hard Windows fan, but the M1 Mac Mini converted me – DigitalTrends
- Google is dropping the headphone jack from its Pixel phones – Business Insider
- Apple CarPlay Workaround for Tesla Vehicles Now Available to Download – MacRumors
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- Warnings issued over ‘New Profile Pic’ app that may send your personal data to Russia – NBC2
- Some top 100,000 websites collect everything you type – before you hit submit – ArsTechnica
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Harvard scientists discover the cause of multiple sclerosis – Brighter Side of News
- How to see where 5G is available near you using Speedtest on iOS – Mashable
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- All Things Secured – Online security made simple by Josh Summers.
- Pixel Privacy – a fabulous resource full of excellent articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee Blog for Andy J’s security tips.
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- Simple Login – Email anonymisation and disposable emails for login/registering with
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- AnonAddy – Disposable email addresses
- Sudo – get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter… You get to keep 2 free avatars though.
- ProtonMail – end to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test – simple to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator – so much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire and on the App Stores – free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Soundcloud / Spotify / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.