This week Android decided join Apple in adopting HEIF (which has to be good news for everyone). TunnelBear sadly got taken over by McAffee (who I did not know are half owned by Intel) and there is news of a forthcoming documentary on Apple’s spinoff General Magic that was a glorious failure!
To talk about this stuff and much much more we are joined by a huge Mac luminary… the most eminent, the incredibly prolific, the legendary Bob ‘Dr Mac’ LeVitus.
PLUS there is a special surprise offer from Dr Mac himself for listeners of this podcast to sign up for his “Working Smarter for Mac Users” courses with a 60% discount!
Recorded 11th March 2018
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
On this week’s show:
DR MAC’S WORKING SMARTER SPECIAL OFFER
- Simply go to Working Smarter for Mac Users and sign up to either the short course or the full course and use the code save60 at the checkout before 1st April 2018 and get a whopping 60% OFF the list price!
- Even if you don’t want to sign up for a course you can get the free weekly tips newsletter here
- General Magic documentary sheds light on Apple spinout’s glorious failure – Cult of Mac
- Android also adds HEIF image compression to their platform – Android Developers Blog
- McAfee acquires VPN provider TunnelBear – VentureBeat
- I didn’t know this however:
“The company was purchased by Intel in February 2011 and became part of the Intel Security division.
On September 7, 2016, Intel announced a strategic deal with TPG Capital to convert Intel Security into a joint venture between both companies called McAfee. That deal closed on April 3, 2017. Thoma Bravo took a minority stake in the new company, and Intel maintains a 49% stake.”
WORTH-A-CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- 33mail.com as recommended by Andi J. Never give out your real email ever again!
Nemo’s Hardware Store (41:12)
- Saddleback Leather Company
- The Hands Free Case is $29 for the 8 and $34 for the 8+
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.