Sorry this one is disgracefully and inexcusably late because… well because of stuff. Anyway Simon was joined by Bart to take a look at the news of the week (at the time) and found a bit more to talk about than they thought they might… Also apologies the sound isn’t up to the usual standard… there was quite a lot of traffic noise and also either Discord or Audio Hijack had a hissy fit at Bart’s end and he had to do the second half with just a live mic resulting in some gain issues… Anyway its cleaned up as best as Simon could manage and we hope it doesn’t spoil your enjoyment too much!
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Get 2 months on the Kino Premium Plan with offer code KINOWITHJOHNNEMO
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Recorded 16th July 2023
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
Apple Podcasts | Overcast | Essential Apple | Pocket Casts | My Mac | Pinecast | Soundcloud | RadioPublic | Listen Notes | Podchaser | PlayerFM | TuneIn | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | Direct Download | RSS
On this week’s show
- @bbusschots on both Twitter and Mastodon
- Host of the Let’s Talk Podcasts
- Frequently appears with Allison Sheridan on her Podfeet podcasts
- 10 iPhone hacks you need to know to get the most out of your mobile — TechRadar
- Apple’s password manager just got a big update in macOS Sonoma – BGR
- Apple’s latest patent suggests a rollable iPhone could be on the way — TechRadar
- macOS Sonoma public beta is out — here are the 5 features you should try first — Tom’s Guide
- DaVinci Resolve for iPad review: no mere gimmick for video editors — Creative Bloq
- Apple Introduces Tap to Pay On iPhone Across The UK — AppleMagazine
- Apple just made a major change to how your iPhone charges itself — here’s how it’s affecting your monthly energy bills — The Cool Down
- Apple Opens Public Betas for macOS 14 Sonoma, iOS 17, iPadOS 17, watchOS 10, tvOS 17, and HomePod Software 17 — TidBITS
- Anger and fear after popular diabetes app breaks — BBC News
- Apple to focus on new AirPods features guided by growing hearing aid market — BGR
- iPhone battery replacement process won’t change anytime soon (if ever) — 9to5Mac
- Apple Lands Record 54 Emmy Award Nominations • iPhone in Canada Blog — iPhone in Canada
- Apple AirPlay found in latest version of Tesla iPhone app after Musk signaled support — 9to5Mac
- Apple Expands Its ‘Apple Car’ Test Driver Team Following Reduction Earlier This Year — iDrop News
- Apple invents a new Wear-Resistant Coating for MacBook Keys and 8-iPhone 14 Pro Patents surface covering key H/W features — Patently Apple
- Apple’s macOS saw a dramatic upturn in 2022 worldwide — AppleInsider
- Debugged iOS and macOS Rapid Security Response patches are ready for installation — Cult of Mac
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- All Things Secured – Online security made simple by Josh Summers.
- Pixel Privacy – a fabulous resource full of excellent articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee Blog for Andy J’s security tips.
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- Simple Login – Email anonymisation and disposable emails for login/registering with
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- AnonAddy – Disposable email addresses
- Sudo – get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter… You get to keep 2 free avatars though.
- ProtonMail – end to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test – simple to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator – so much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire and on the App Stores – free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Soundcloud / Spotify / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.