OK so the new toys have started to make their way into the hands of the reviewers and the public… and as always there are those who cant help but moan, occasionally with at least some reason I guess… Nick and Jim and Simon get together to chat over the stories that caught their eye…
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Get 2 months on the Kino Premium Plan with offer code KINOWITHJOHNNEMO
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join in the chatter!
Recorded 19th September 2022
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
Apple Podcasts | Overcast | Essential Apple | Pocket Casts | My Mac | Pinecast | Soundcloud | RadioPublic | Listen Notes | Podchaser | PlayerFM | TuneIn | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | Direct Download | RSS
On this week’s show
- @spligosh on Twitter very occasionally
- Spligosh in the Slack
- Sutton Park Circuit church worship on YouTube
- Nick’s church stream videos on You Tube
- iPhone 14 Pro camera shaking and making noises in TikTok, Snapchat and other third-party apps – CultofMac
- Apple’s iPhone 14 Plus has a pricing problem bigger than it is – Digital Trends
- Apple’s iPhone dominates the used smartphone market in Indonesia – Apple World Today
- watchOS 9 complications have completely ruined the Simple watch face – 9to5Mac
- iOS 16’s haptic keyboard is bloomin’ great: Here’s how to turn it on – Cult of Mac
- Apple executive confirms incessant iOS 16 clipboard paste permission prompts are a bug – 9to5Mac
- iPhone 14 Pro might ‘freeze’ while transferring data from old iPhones – BGR
- We Finally Know What The iPhone 14 Pro Max’s Megapill Looks Like (And Why The Dynamic Island Exists) – SlashGear
- iPhone Pro needs a radical color revolution – Cult of Mac
- M2 MacBook Air vs. M1 MacBook Air: which is best, new or old? – Digital Trends
- Full Video of Tim Cook, Jony Ive, and Laurene Powell Jobs Discussing Steve Jobs Archive and More Now Available – MacRumors
- iPhone 14 Pro’s 48-Megapixel ProRAW Photos Take Up to Three Times More Storage Than 12-Megapixel Shots – MacRumors
- The Evolution of Camera Phones, Visualized – Simpleghar
- Could This Breakthrough Make Plastic Production Truly Circular? – Forbes
- First-ever drug treats cataracts – avoiding the need for surgery – Brighter Side News
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- Apple Collects the Least Amount of User Data Out of Major Tech Companies, Study Suggests – MacRumors
- Apple XProtect is now proactive with periodic malware scans – AppleInsider
VINNE & THE SQUIRRELS
- Report: All iPhone 15 models to have Dynamic Island, but not Always-On or ProMotion – 9to5Mac
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- How to set up eSIM on your new iPhone 14 – TechCrunch
- This New iOS 16 Feature Is a Game-Changer for Anyone Who Struggles to Keep Track of Taking Their Meds – SELF
- Live Home 3D 4.5 – TidBITS
JUST A SNIPPET
For things that are not worth more than a flypast
- Apple website glitch sets iPhone 14 price at $777,777/mo – 9to5Mac
NEMO’S HARDWARE STORE (53:57)
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- All Things Secured – Online security made simple by Josh Summers.
- Pixel Privacy – a fabulous resource full of excellent articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee Blog for Andy J’s security tips.
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- Simple Login – Email anonymisation and disposable emails for login/registering with
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- AnonAddy – Disposable email addresses
- Sudo – get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter… You get to keep 2 free avatars though.
- ProtonMail – end to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE… what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test – simple to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator – so much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire and on the App Stores – free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services… We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Soundcloud / Spotify / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn’t have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.