This landed on the mat of the Essentialmac.co.uk the Tascam iM2 which promises to turn your iPod / iPad / Iphone into a high quality digital recorded. Think Dictaphone but for the new generation.. Here’s our first look before we dive into the review.
• Stereo condenser microphones for iPhone 4, iPod Touch oriPad dock connection
• High-quality stereo condenser microphones – same as the best-selling DR-series recorders
• Microphones adjustable 180 degrees front to back
• Built-in analog to digital converter and microphone preamp for low noise recording
• 125dB SPL maximum level for recording loud shows withoutdistortion
• Switchable limiter attenuates high-level signals to prevent recording overload
• Adjustable input level control
• Powered through iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch dock connector
• USB input allows the iPhone or iPad to be charged from a USB power source.
• CD-quality digital recording (44.1kHz/16-bit linear PCM)
• Compact size ideal for mobile use
Compatible with iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod Touch 4G, iPad, iPad 2 the Tascam PCM recorded app (available from the app store).
The app itself seems to be well thought out having input and output level faders with an “on-screen” meter as well as stereo limiting and a low cut filter to prevent overload.
Recordings are accessed via iTunes or uploaded to Soundcloud for that all important cloud integration.
The TASCAM iM2 will is available now from good outlets including our amazon links and has an SRP of £85.00. Purchasing through Amazon directly helps Essentialmac Directly
What is a condenser microphone
A condenser microphone is a good choice for recording vocals in a studio environment. In a live setting, a condenser microphone may be used, but keep in mind that it is much more sensitive than a dynamic microphone and may pick up undesired sound from other noise in the room. A condenser microphone is not the best choice for recording louder instruments or amplified instruments, as the louder frequencies passing through the microphone tend to cause unwanted distortion. (source)
Leave a Reply